Why should I use pc! Lettings



To be direct we are confident that we offer a better service than any other local letting agent. We are not perfect and can make mistakes but we aim to be the preferred choice for all landlords and tenants in our local area and constantly strive to improve our service. Below we have listed just a few of the things we know our existing clients appreciate;-

•Owned and run by successful, professional and qualified landlords who understand the business and work full time within it

Specialising in residential lettings, we are not estate agents whose interest lies elsewhere

•Advertising more than other letting agents using radio, newspaper and online marketing including all the main portals Rightmove, Zoopla, Facebook and Google Adwords

•Attracting better clients through a higher level of customer service

•Charging only one set up fee and not charging a fee every time the house is let (based on a fully managed service)

•Inspecting our managed houses every 12 weeks

•Paying landlords every weekday not weekly or even monthly like some!

•If you have a serious problem you will be able to meet or speak to one of the company directors/owners

•Our long standing relationship with the Royal Navy as we house approx. 99% or all the personnel within our area

•Our website is up to date, easy to find, informative and designed to react to the device people view it upon

•Keeping abreast of internet developments for marketing, we were actually using Google maps on our website before Rightmove!

•Operating from just one location and weekly meetings help ensure all staff are up to date

•Having a large team of contractors from painters and plumbers to roofers and electricians all local, tested and trusted

•Having an excellent relationship with Bae and gain a very significant proportion of their demand for corporate accommodation


What is the benefit from having a Navy Tenancy at my property?

The rent is as sure as it can ever be and is paid via a central relocation team with whom we have an excellent relationship. In most cases these tenants look after the house very well, we will apply for an annual increase in the rent (in line with inflation) and the Royal Navy are here long term so sometimes the tenancy can continue for several years.

For security reasons the information we can provide is somewhat limited of course.

What services do you offer?

Landlord services  

We have three main services relating to letting properties, these are a full management service, a let only service and an advertise only service all of which are detailed below. We also provide insurance services and valuation services both specifically for the residential lettings industry. We are happy to tailor a service to your needs and can discuss this with you when we look at the property for rent.

We offer a free property appraisal and rental valuation service, during this we will provide advice & tips on how you might maximise the potential income from your property. We will also explain your legal obligations as a landlord as well as describing our services and fees. Please just contact our office on 01229 83 1111, unfortunately we cannot book these appointments via email.  

Full management Letting Agent's Service

A full management service is designed to ensure you have as little to do with the property as possible. We ensure you receive as high as possible rent paid in full, on time and that property is looked after and maintained. Specifically it involves the following although listing everything we might do is impossible!

  • Significant promotion of the property through various media & accompanied viewings
  • Tenant vetting & referencing including significant credit and personal checks
  • Formation of legal documents regarding the lease between you and the tenant
  • Composition of a thorough inventory of the property and contents
  • Formal agreement of condition of property with tenant at beginning of tenancy
  • Collection and administration of all rents and deposits with monthly statements
  • Regular property inspections with written feedback to you every time (eleven weekly -more than any other agent we know)
  • Organisation of maintenance and repairs upon your instruction
  • Organisation of all legally required safety checks upon your instruction
  • Recording of all activities relating to the tenancy on bespoke computer systems
  • Final inspections of the property with the tenant present to agree any deposit deductions
  • Arrangement of any cleaning/repairs at the end of any tenancy
  • Re-direction of mail from previous tenants and other parties
  • Free advice and updates on changes within property law and the market in general
  • Our standard fee is a set up fee of £175.00 plus v.a.t. followed by a management fee of between 10 and 12.5% dependant on level of service subject to v.a.t.


Let-Only Service

A let only service is for landlords who are happy to manage everything themselves but just need help finding the right tenant and ensuring your legal standing is sound. We do not recommend this for people with no previous experience. The standard cost of this service is one month's rent inc. vat although larger properties are priced at the valuation.

  • Significant promotion of the property through various media & accompanied viewings
  • Tenant vetting & referencing including significant credit and personal checks
  • Formation of legal documents regarding the lease between you and the tenant
  • Composition of a thorough inventory of the property and contents
  • Collection and administration of any deposits via recognised deposit protection scheme
  • Formal agreement of condition of property with tenant at start of tenancy


Advertise only service - a new service we have launched in 2011

This involves advertising a residential or commercial property for rent and passing on all enquiries to you until the property is let.(subject to a maximum term)  You would handle viewings, leases and everything else. The advertising is our full range which includes ALL major property portals online, Google Adwords, local radio and the Evening mail. This is charged as a one off fee payable before we commence advertising, this is an ideal service for experienced landlords.

We can still produce leases, move tenants in/out, lodge deposits or prepare inventories etc for you but would charge individually for these services allowing you to choose exactly what you want.

Do you have any more information on the Royal Navy?

Yes, please see this page.

What are the tax implications of renting my house/property?

As a private landlord in the United Kingdom you are required by law to inform the inland revenue of any rental income this is usually done via a self-assessment.

From the total rent received in a tax year you can normally deduct, for tax purposes, the following:

  • Our fees
  • Fair wear and tear & repair costs
  • Safety checks such as portable appliance tests and gas safety checks
  • Interest paid to the Building Society or Mortgage Company - this is now changing see below
  • Insurance premiums
  • You then pay tax on the remainder of the rent.

Please bear in mind that we are not accountants and have no qualification to provide this advice. Should you require further tax advice please contact a qualified accountant.

I am going to be living abroad does this matter?

Yes it does as you need to be registered as a "non-resident landlord" for tax. This is important and if you go here you can fill in the required information. Our non-resident landlord agency number is NA 046071.

Once you are registered we will receive a "fico" number and are able to pay you as normal. Other than this you being abroad is no problem for us but communication can of course be more difficult so please make sure you give us the following information.

The email address you actually use most

An up to date number for you at home and at work as well as  mobile and any required overseas dialling codes

A window of UK time best to call within and the time difference you have

All the details for your house i.e. fill in the property information form and permissions sheet fully

Contact details for a local friend or relative (not always required simply useful on occasion)

A Uk address to send non-essential post to (not always required simply useful on occasion)

Are you a member of any trade bodies?

We are not and have no plans to become a memebr of Arla this is by choice as we do not agree with some of their "guidelines" one clear example is their long standing suggestion that a burnt carpet should be charged at £25.00! We don't agree and feel there is no benefit of joining.

We are a member of a property redress scheme for the protection of both landlords and tenants alike.

Do I need smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms?

From 1st October 2015 Regulations will require a smoke alarm on every floor of rented accommodation and also a carbon monoxide alarm in any habitable rooms with a solid fuel appliance. Local authorities will have a duty to serve notice on the landlord if there is a breach of the Regulations and can execute remedial action if necessary and make a penalty charge up to £5,000.

We have advised the same for some time already but are re-iterating our requirement for at least one carbon monoxide alarm for every property where gas or oil/lpg is used. We hope all our landlord clients will take a pro-active approach where they either supply the required alarms and fit them or ask us to do so.

The smoke alarms that we will be supplying are Kidde i9040 9V Ionisation Smoke Alarm with Test Button. These will only be charged at £5.00 plus vat each alarm.

Carbon Monoxide (co 1) alarm advice

pc! lettings strongly advise the following allocation of co 1 alarms to prevent the risk of people becoming ill or dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. As the gas has no smell the alarm is the only real means of warning.

Any room where a real fire, wood burner or any solid fuel device is in use must have a co 1 alarm fitted. This is a legal requirement.

In addition to this one co 1 alarm should be fitted in any room with a gas fire or boiler. The only exceptions would be if the boiler is outside in which case none is needed, integral garages within the house are not outside. If the boiler is situated in bath/shower room the co1 alarm is best fitted in the hallway or room next to this.

Rooms with gas hobs or cookers do not require a co 1 alarm
Many agents simply shrug their shoulders with this issue. We have taken advice from Cumbria Fire Safety and the local Environmental health department as well as legal advice to ensure our advice is accurate. As usual our advice is based on experience and sound common sense.

Further information


The smoke alarms that we will be supplying are Kidde i9040 9V Ionisation Smoke Alarm with Test Button. These will only be charged at £5.00 plus vat each alarm.


The carbon monoxide alarms that we will be supplying are KD5CO - Kidde BatteryOperated. These will only be charged at£15.00 plus vat each alarm.

The cost of installing both types of alarms will be the same at;-

1 alarm fitted £7.50 plus v.a.t.

2 alarms fitted £12.50 plus v.a.t.

3 alarms fitted £15.50 plus v.a.t.

4 alarms fitted £17.50 plus v.a.t.

We will be completing this during gas safety checks and p.a.t testing as well as during inspections, check in/outs and pre move in checks. If the required amount are not present we will supply and fit the legal requirement as well as carbon monoxide detectors. Please contact us if you are at all unsure.

For more information please feel free to read this document which is the official guidance.

I want to use my own contractor/complete repairs myself, can you arrange this?

Yes this is not a problem assuming access is agreed with the tenant and you only complete works you are qualified to.


With your own contractors the best thing to do is give us all their numbers and let them know we have permission to instruct them for you. So long as they are only working on things they are qualified for and have public liability insurance this is fine. They cannot work on gas or electrical items unless qualified to do so and must arrange access with us or the tenant directly.

They can either invoice you directly for payment or send the bill to us, if they send the bill to us it must be a full invoice with all their details and a bank account, name, number and sort code we cannot pay them via cash or cheque, they will be paid from the next month's rental income or if you transfer the money to us we can pay them sooner.

Will you contact the council and utility firms etc to let them know a tenant has moved in?

Yes we will inform the council tax department, water, gas and electric suppliers and the tenants become due from the first day on the tenancy and/or meter readings which we will take at the move in appointment. ( conducted as part of the let only or managed service or via separate charge)

We do not inform phone, broadband, oil or television providers but if you are cancelling these services be careful that the phone line is not disconnected as a result otherwise a fee of £124.99 (approx.) will be requested from Bt/ other phone provider.

Is there a better way to find out all this information?

Yes, if you are considering renting your property please just give us a call we will be happy to come and meet you at the property and will run through everything with you as well as providing a valuation and discussing our fees. The appointment will be with either Shaun Dixon or Steven Squires the owners of the business.

If you are out of the area or very pushed for time we can complete a quick valuation if you provide a key but we do much prefer to meet you in person and have a chat with you.

What is changing with Epcs and how can I check mine?

There is an online register for all Energy perfomance certifcates so you can check if you have one or get a copy here http://www.epcregister.com/ there is also a very helpful faq area on there website here https://www.epcregister.com/faq.html 

Please be aware that f
rom the 1st April 2018 there will be a new requirement for any property rented out in the private rented sector to normally have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Regulations will come into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020.

It will then be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty of up to £4,000 will be imposed for breaches.